The Set Identifier Action sets the Journey identifier. Journeys are identified in three different ways.
- A unique
sessionIdthat is automatically created for each Journey. This cannot be modified.
actor.phonevariable, which is the user's unique phone number.
- A custom identifier, which can be any
Textas specified by this Action.
- An identifier is used to uniquely identify a Journey from either an App API or an Event, specifically when the Start Journey data operation is used to lookup and use an existing session. The Set Identifier Action can only be used for the third type of identifier above, a custom identifier.
- To send a Session Event to a running App
- To send a message to a specific user
- To update the status of a request from an external system
- To use a custom ID from your system of record. For instance, a user could be identified based on their Salesforce Contact ID, or their Zendesk ID
The value that will be used to uniquely identify a Journey.
This property has two options: Fail and Replace. When the Set Identifier Action is run, and there is an existing Journey with the same identifier that was just specified, these options decide what happens:
If Fail is selected, then this Action does nothing. The existing Journey is not modified, and the Journey that called Set Identifier will not claim the identifier.
If Replace is selected, then the Journey that called the Set Identifier takes over the existing Journey's identifier, removing the identifier from the existing Journey, if any.