The Transform Data Operation is an incredibly flexible operation with a wide variety of uses. It runs a single Airscript expression and saves the result to an output Variable. One common use case is to process the data from an HTTP Request and save it in Object-Service.
- Process data from an API request to parse out only the relevant data for the rest of the Data Flow to consume.
- Set an initial state for a Variable. For instance, you could set the initial value of a Variable called urlby using the Transform Expression "google.com"with urlas the name of the Transform's result.
- Use a Query Expression to easily parse information from a list.
- Set a default value for a Variable that might be NULL. For instance, you could use this Airscript expression to default to "No Name" if the name Variable is NULL:
IF(name = NULL, "No Name", name)
- Set up a Variable to reuse throughout the rest of the Data Flow. For instance, to easily use a URL in several HTTP Request steps, you could set the URL to a Variable with a Transform step.
The Airscript expression that will be run when this Data Operation is executed. This can include any Variables from this Data Flow.
It has three output formats:
- The result of the Airscript expression will be saved to the Variable of the specified type. For instance, if the Variable type is "Number", the Airscript expression must return a Number.
- The result of the Airscript expression will be saved to the output Variable as JSON. This is the same as calling TO_JSON on the output.
- The result of the Airscript expression must be a Text value. The value is not changed in any way by choosing XML.