Connecting Twilio Numbers
This guide will walk through how to connect a Twilio Number to Airkit and be used as a Voice or SMS Resource. This enables the ability to leverage the Voice and SMS capabilities within the platform, such as sending an SMS to update a user or having a Journey get triggered by an inbound call.
- Access to a Twilio Account
- Have an available number with the desired functionality associated with the Twilio Account. For more on how to do this, see Twilio's documentation.
Setting up the integration in the Console
To connect Twilio with an Airkit application, follow these steps:
- Once in the Console, go on Integrations > Connected Accounts and click on Create new
- Name the integration and from Integration select Twilio.
- Since the Username and Password are from Twilio, go to your Twilio account and copy the Account SID and an Auth Token from the dashboard:
- Username = Account SID
- Password = Auth Token
The username and password declared here must correspond to your Account SID and Auth Token respectively. Failure to do so will not always be caught by the system at the time of creation, which will cause unintended behavior downstream.
Set up the phone number as a Resource
- In the Console, go to Resources and click on Create new.
- Add a name to describe the Resource and, in Capabilities, select Send Text Message to set up a way to process SMS messages or Send Voice to process phone calls.
Many Twilio Numbers are capable of processing both phone calls and incoming SMS messages. In such cases, select the capability that you intend to use it for primarily.
In Datasource, select the connected account that was created in the previous step.
Under Remote ID, select the Twilio number that you want to associate with your app.
Click the Create button on the bottom right.
Setting up the SMS Resource in your app
- Open the relevant application in the Studio, go to Settings and scroll down to Chat Bot. Then select the SMS Resource that was created in the previous step. It should show up as the name previously provided.
The app will now send SMS messages through the number provided.
Setting up a Voice Resource in your app
This section will cover how to set up a phone number to be used via voice
- Once inside the app, go to Settings and scroll down to Voice Bot. Then select the Voice Resource that was created in the previous step. It should show up as the name previously provided.
The app will now use the phone number to send and receive calls.
Updated about 1 year ago