This guide will walk through how to connect a Twilio Number to Airkit and be used as a Voice or SMS resource. This enables the ability to leverage the Voice and SMS capabilities within the platform, such as sending an SMS update to a user or having a journey get triggered by an inbound call.
- Access to a Twilio Account
- Have an available number associated with the Twilio Account. See here for guidance on how to set that up.
Set up integrations in Console
This section will go over creating a connection to Twilio with an Airkit application.
- Go to console.airkit.com and click on Integrations > Credentials and then select the +New button to add your credentials
- Name the integration and select the Twilio integration
- The Username and Password will need to be from Twilio. On the Dashboard of a Twilio account, locate the Account SID and an Auth Token.
Username = Account SID
Password = Auth Token
Set up phone number resource
This section will cover how to set up a phone number to use from your connection.
- In console.airkit.com, click on Resources > then select the +New button.
- Add a name to describe the resource and click on the Capabilities dropdown and select Send Text Message to set up a chat bot. To set up a Voice Bot, select Send Voice.
- Select your datasource that was created in the previous step. Under Remote ID, select a phone number that is available.
Set up SMS resource in your app - configuration builder
In this section, we will set up the Phone number to be used via SMS.
- In the app, click on Configuration builder and scroll down to Chat Bot. Then select the SMS Resource that was created in the previous step. It should show up as the name previously provided.
Once selected, the app will now send SMS through the number provided!
Set up Voice resource in your app - configuration builder
This section will cover how to set up a phone number to be used via voice
- In the app, click on Configuration builder and scroll down to Voice Bot. Then select the Voice Resource that was created in the previous step. It should show up as the name previously provided.
- Once selected, the voice resource will use the Twilio integration!
- Voice Locked Behavior: What action to take if someone calls in with the same number with a live session.
- Incoming Call Launch Behavior: What action to take if the phone number receives an incoming call.
Once the Twilio account is connected, it can then be used to integrate with the chat bots and voice bots in Activity Builder. Also, when dealing with phone numbers in your app, it is best practice to use the FORMAT_PHONE() function to ensure the phone number gets passed with the region correctly. For more information on how how to leverage the associated phone number, see some of the topics below: